Friday, November 13, 2009

Just When You Think You Know Someone

Here's my sweet daughter Stephany. She is very artsy, dresses funky, loves black, has 2 piercings in her lip, and loves to listen to weird music (what teenager doesn't love weird music)! For a long time all this bugged me no end - especially the piercings. But I came to realize that you have to pick your battles. I've come to accept that Stephany is her own person and loves being different.

Yesterday we had to go to Battle Ground so Steph could get her new glasses ordered. I figured since we were out there I'd take a side trip to Old Town and visit the Vintage Gathering Christmas Emporium. This kind of event is something that I absolutely love and have not done enough of it for a long time. Anything vintage, cottage, shabby, pink and roses is right up my alley.

Steph and I stepped inside the store and both of us went crazy! I knew that Steph liked some things vintage - she loved her sister's store in Camas when she used to go there. But yesterday I saw a side of Steph that I never knew existed. She told me that when she gets her first apartment she wants to decorate it in cottage and vintage style!! Then she Tweeted that she'd love to have an antique store some day! A girl after my own heart (actually she had my heart from the first minute I laid eyes on her)!

On the way home we talked about how much fun it would be to have a store again. I told her that it was a big undertaking and the finances just weren't there for it right now. However, we could start junking again, re-do treasures, do sales, and maybe have a booth somewhere. Stephany was so excited! That's all she's talked about since yesterday. How much fun is this going to be to have a "partner in crime" to go to sales with!

Just when you think you know someone - especially your own child - they go and surprise you. This is going to be such fun!!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

I think you've found your middle ground:) If Steph is like most young women, she just needs something meaningful to be passionate about. Go for it! I think they are most apt to follow the culture when they have nothing else to follow. Happy for ya!
Debbie

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

I am so happy for you and just a tad green with envy. My daughter is not interested at all in my vintage and antique things...it sounds like a wonderful adventure that you are about to begin with your daughter! Have fun!

Florence said...

Those are the best surprises I think. I am glad you enjoyed the sale. Hugs Florence

Shari from Big Yellow Farmhouse said...

Oh, sounds like there will be so much fun ahead for you two!! Nothing better than being able to share one of your passions with your own child! Enjoy these precious times!!

CJ said...

So sweet!! Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter. Enjoy your times together, you are making sweet memories for both of you! :)

Beemoosie said...

How wonderful Kay!!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen said...

How wonderful that you both found a "together" thing to do that you can totally get involved in! What a compliment when our kids like the things we like! It's great for the relationships!