Thursday, June 18, 2009

Slipping Into Summer Mode


We're slowly slipping into Summer mode around the Butler house. Steph's last day of school was on Tuesday and I was done on Monday. I have to go back on June 29th and will done the 3rd week of August. It is so great not to have to set the alarm, deal with homework, and just have relaxed mornings. The sunshine and warm weather are like frosting on the cake.

Steph went to stay with a friend who lives in the country outside of La Center, WA (where we used to live). When I went to pick her up I was sitting in the car enjoying the sunshine and the peacefulness. I looked up and saw this lovely old wagon wheel leaning against the garage. I thought it would make a great picture with the old can sitting there and the long grass. I'm not one to carry my camera around - bad me - but I had my phone. I think this picture turned out great for being taken with my phone camera. I didn't do anything to the picture except crop it a bit.

Good news that I'm very proud of -- I got an A+ in my first class! All the homework and whining about having to do homework paid off.

I have not planted one thing this year. My patio and front porch are bare! When I moved to Utah last summer I gave away all my pots for flowers. In order to plant anything I'd have to buy new or used at garages sales. There there's the expense of the dirt and the plants. My finances are so tight this year that it would be a choice between buying food or having a nice looking patio - food won. It just makes me sad because I love flowers. I'll just enjoy other people's plants this year!

I am just so looking forward to getting done with school in August and, hopefully, being able to find a job right away. It's been a long haul since May 2008 and I'm starting to get weary. I know that I'm not the only one who is struggling financially - most of the country is. It just gets so tiring to not have a little money for some extras - like flowers for the patio, being able to shop at a garage sale, etc. God has been so good to us and continues to be that way. He has provided all this time. I've not been living in my car and there's always something to eat. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or to complain. I guess I just needed to whine a bit. Now the pity party is over and I need to get busy doing something around the house. It's time to fire up the vacuum and get some cleaning done!

3 comments:

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Oh Kay,
You've been through so much this last year or so.

I do so hope that God gives you a little pot of flowers. I found one at a little discount grocery for $1.99 and it's brought me so much pleasure.

Hang in there, God will get you through these last few months.

May God give you work quickly.

Laura

Darlene said...

Congrats on the A+!! It is hard work and you persevered! We are all so very proud of you :)

A lot of good things are in your future.....He promised us :)

Love and blessings to you and Steph :)

.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I know just how you are feeling, Kay! I didn't plant anything this year either, and I miss all the flowers and butterflies they bring. But the Lord does send things my way to enjoy anyway -- just like you and the pair of doves on the wires above you. Sometimes, we just have to look up, don't we?

And congrats on the A+!!!!