Sunday, February 24, 2008

Soaping Sunday

What a glorious day! The sun is shining here in SW Washington and it's going to be almost 60! Yesterday was the same. It just makes you feel good when the sun shines. I want to plant flowers on my porch but I know that it's a little too early for that.

Instead of planting I decided to stay indoors and get some soap made. My shelves were so low that my daughter was complaining about where all the soap was! I haven't made soap since I moved into my apartment so I also had to get used to a new work area. I don't have the counter space that I had before so it was a little cramped but workable.

There's a batch of Pomegranate in the oven - it smells so good, fruity with a slight tartness to it. And it's supposed to cure to a rosy pink. We'll see. This afternoon I'm going to try hot process on top of the stove and do Cottage Rose. I have a recipe for this type of processing and you "cook" the soap for 2 hours then add the scent and additives. The lye is supposed to be all cooked out so that the scent and colors stay true. I have beautiful pink rose petals that I'm adding to this one and I'm hoping that they will stay pink. When I've done this soap using oven process the petals always turn dark. Since Spring is around the corner I thought I'd do a batch of Muget (Lily of the Valley). This one will be white with a green swirl. Love that scent!

Steph went to be with her dad overnight. I miss her but sure am enjoying the quiet. She has been so sick with mono. I took her to a naturopath last Tuesday and she's now on homeopathic remedies and supplements to cleanse and build up her immune system. I can tell that she's a little better but she just has no energy. I think that I'm going to have to school her at home for the rest of the year because she just does not have the stamina to go to school. I found an online school that is actually through our school district and am waiting to hear back from them. At this point I'm not even sure she will be ready for high school in the Fall. But God can work miracles and we'll just study, even over the summer. I just want her to feel better. I'm praying for that every day.

Life is good! God is good! Have a blessed Sunday!!

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Okay, okay...so you've inspired me to haul the soap supplies out. I'm in desperate need of making a few bars myself. What fragrance shall I concentrate on today?

Tina Leavy said...

sounds like you have been really busy soaping. hope your daughter gets well soon.
inviting you over to join in the drawing(3) on my blog. hope you'll stop by.
Tina

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Your soaps sound really amazing, Kay. I admire that you are keeping that art alive with you work.

Hope Steph gets to feeling better really soon. Sounds like we'll both be homeschooling moms this year. I'm sure she'll just blossom being in a warm, caring environment.

Warm hugs,
Lea

Aunt Jenny said...

The muget sounds wonderful. I have loved that scent ever since I had a "Liddle Kiddles" doll as a kid with Lily of the Valley scent. Silly huh???
Have a great week!